Vishal K is a Chief Operating Officer of a global high-tech company and is responsible for sales, delivery and support organizations. He leads a diverse and experienced team that is responsible for all aspects of the company’s sales, operations and delivery services including professional services and customer support.
Coaching Observations: Vishal started his online coaching with good foundation of nutrition (vegetarian) and aerobic fitness (avid runner and former squash player). His main fitness goal was to develop his strength and lean body mass. He followed a basic but effective bodyweight strength routine. He also incorporated interval training into his regular running routine. His nutritional goal was to improve his macronutrients, specifically increasing protein and decreasing sugar.
Vishal’s composite strength increased an average of 66% based on his following individual measures:
- 117% increase in Pull-ups (from 12 to 26)
- 200% increase in Push-ups (from 6 to 18)
- 33% increase in Squats (from 43 to 57)
- 66% composite increase [(26+18+57)/(12+6+43)]
In his own words, Vishal describes his experiences and insights into becoming healthier and fitter:
- I never really followed a dieting program in past.
What specific changes did you make to your eating or exercise did you make in the last 6 months?
- I added regular interval training and intermittent strength training.
What health habits were easiest and hardest for you to change?
- I found that interval training was easy to add. My strength training took some time to start, but once I started it became routine.
How do you measure yourself to see if you are staying on track?
- I measure my regular runs, strength training repetitions, and watch my intake of chocolates :)
How do you get yourself back on track if you miss miss your nutrition goals, workout, coaching session, etc?
- I just make sure to do it.
You travel for business. How do you maintain your health and fitness when you are on the road?
- Running is the main thing I do.
In what ways does social support play a role in changing your eating or exercise habits?
- Both my wife and I are both into regular fitness, so we keep each other motivated.
You are a busy member of an executive team. How do you find the time to be healthy?
- I make time on most days.
If you could go back and do anything different about improving your nutrition or fitness, what would it be?
- Perhaps I would join a gym to ensure more regular and a more variety of strength training.
What was the hardest thing for you to change?
- For me it was getting into habit of doing something beyond just running.
What do you enjoy the most about your healthy lifestyle? What inspires you to keep it day after day?
- I enjoy being fit.
- I certainly feel good that I can do more pushups and pull-ups than when I started. Health-wise I feel similar.
What has surprised you most about the health changes you’ve made?
- There were no surprises.
What success factors, tips, or hacks can you share that help make your health habits and motivation consistent?
- The key thing is to try new things for a few times.